WHAT TO DO IN A GAS EMERGENCY ?
Can you smell gas?
Feeling ill? Headaches... nausea... dizziness?
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas boilers, cookers and fires can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
In a gas emergency act quickly and take the following safety steps:
- Get fresh air immediately. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room.
- Switch off the appliance and do not use it again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
- Turn off the gas supply at the mains.
- Call the National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999.
- If you are feeling ill visit your GP or the hospital immediately and tell them that your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance.
National Gas Emergency number 0800 111 999 is for England, Scotland and Wales.