GAS EMERGENCIES
 

WHAT TO DO IN A GAS EMERGENCY ?

Can you smell gas?

Feeling ill? Headaches... nausea... dizziness?

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas boilers, cookers and fires can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

In a gas emergency act quickly and take the following safety steps:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room.
  • Switch off the appliance and do not use it again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Turn off the gas supply at the mains.
  • Call the National Gas Emergency number: 0800 111 999.
  • If you are feeling ill visit your GP or the hospital immediately and tell them that your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance.


National Gas Emergency number 0800 111 999
is for England, Scotland and Wales.